Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Getting Answers

My doctor had ordered a series of test while I was in the hospital. I think they took at least 12 tubes of blood from me. Quite honestly, I didn't think I would have any answers. I had been doing some online searching of causes of miscarriage and I was reading the book To Full Term by Darci Klein, so I was familiar with medical terms and different diagnosis going into my postpartum appointment. I was nervous. To be honest, there wasn't any good news. There was no news, bad news and worse news. I was hoping for bad news. I found out that I have two different disorders: MTHFR mutation and a prothrombin mutation. I still haven't quite figured out the significance of the MTHFR, but the prothrombin mutation is a clotting disorder. A blood clot had formed and caused placental abruption. The good news is that going on a daily shot of heparin during pregnancy should keep me from miscarrying again. Even though I have answers, I still worry. It will never be like it was with Micah when it didn't even occur to me that something could go wrong. Once you've lost three babies, you can never go back.

2 comments:

  1. Jess,

    I think it took a lot of courage for you to share these experiences, but I'm sure doing so will encourage and console others in similar situations. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul,
    Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the nature of this blog, all comments are reviewed before posting. Please let me know if you would like your comment to remain private.