Friday, October 16, 2009

A Day of Remembrance

When I came home from work tonight, I helped tuck Micah into bed. After Micah was all set, Sam and I gathered the few items we had that reminded us of Madelyn--- the ultrasound picture of her scratching her nose, the bracelet with her name that someone at the hospital made for us, and a rose from the flowers we bought for her grave. We set the CD player to play Sissy's Song by Alan Jackson and then lit her candle. Sam held me. I cried. No words were spoken. Usually memorials are about remembering, but for us it was about what will never be. We will never hear her cry, feel her breath, watch her first step, or hear her first word. We'll never send her off to kindergarten, celebrate her graduation, or see her walk down the aisle. Today we grieve for all the moments that will never be.

2 comments:

  1. Jess, and I just wanted to say how sorry I am. Your words brought tears to my eyes, and my heart is aching with you - for your Madelyn and for my Calvin, who I also lost at 18 weeks. You're in my thoughts.

    -crystal theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. October 16 2009 is the day my son, Joseph died. Placenta abruption at 40 weeks. your memorial to your daughter is so touching. your story so similar to mine. I'm sorry for your pain and I know too well what you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the nature of this blog, all comments are reviewed before posting. Please let me know if you would like your comment to remain private.